Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Election Day Results...Thanks for a great campaign...

"There is no comparison between that which is lost by not succeeding and that which is lost by not trying." - Sir Francis Bacon 

Somewhere along the campaign trail I heard the above quote repeated by Larry Ellison of the Oracle Corporation.  It was in an interview with Charlie Rose.  In a nutshell, it sums up why I decided to run for office in Davidson, and it is why I will sleep very well tonight even though things did not turn out as I would have liked.

Truthfully, what would keep me up at night would be knowing I had done nothing if I had decided not to run.

I can not begin to truly thank the volunteers and supporters who helped me along the way.  Humbling is the most appropriate word to describe the experience of having people give of their time and enthusiasm in trying to help me achieve this goal.  If there is any disappointment for me, it is because we were not able to quite get over the hump, and I know they share in that disappointment.

However, there are also a number of things to be very proud of with this election, and in no way do I regret a minute of the time it took or a drop of the effort expended.  I know this town better than I ever would have otherwise, and my life is richer for the experience.

Finally, to the other candidates in the race I want to say thank you as well.  We did not agree on a number of things, but the campaigns remained civil.  That is how it should be.  We had a real honest to goodness election in Davidson, and that's great for our community.  My hope is that it sets the tone for elections to come.

Congratulations to those who were successful.  You all earned it!  To those of us who did not make it, I know we'll all continue looking for ways to help in our community.  That's a great thing too.

As for what's next for me personally?  A few days off, and then it's back to what I loved doing before this election season.  aShortChronicle will be back up and running soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment